27 March 2010

A Year of Physicians and Paperwork

For what it's worth, I thought I would post my application timeline.  So if you're considering applying, know up-front that it can be a long process (mine ended up being a full year).


April 2009: Submitted my online application.
May 2009: Had interview in New York and was nominated.
June - August 2009: Studied in Morocco and backpacked Europe, so couldn't complete any of my medical or dental forms.
August - September 2009: Went to see all of my doctors and dentist, got all of my forms filled out, and (finally) submitted all medical forms.
October 2009: Received medical deferral (AKA the worst three months of my life).
November 2009: Appealed my deferral, was told to fill out more paperwork.  Filled out said paperwork.
December 2009: Was told to get even more paperwork filled out.  Note: it contained the exact same information.
January 2010: Medical deferral was lifted!!!  Celebrated in Cleveland with my brother, Adam.  Then was told my iron levels were too low - began intense iron-rich diet regimen.
February 2010: Got more blood taken.  Had perfect iron levels, duh.  Received medical clearance!
March 2010: Received my invitation to serve in Botswana :)
April 2010: When I will leaveeee! 2 weeks babayyyy!


So, as you can see, I spent a LOT of time applying and not so much time packing and preparing.  The process has taken such a long time that I'm finding it hard to believe that I truly am leaving in two weeks.  In fact, there is a small part of me that thinks at any minute Peace Corps will call and say, "We reviewed your file one last time and we actually don't want you.  Sorry."  Or worse - "We saw your pictures on facebook.  Don't even think about showing up."  I know that this is highly improbable (although, not impossible), but until I'm sitting on that plane to Botswana, I am still just an unemployed college kid.  But anyway, I can't really complain, because there is no other adventure I would rather be leaving for. :)

This weekend my parents are throwing me a Bon Voyage Brunch.  It should be precious.  I will be drinking Andre.  Oh cheap champagne, how I will miss you.


"Working hard is important, but there is something that matters even more - believing in yourself."  -Harry Potter

(^A quote I wish I had remembered while I was crying over my deferral, haha.)

2 comments:

  1. I'm reading this entry and shaking my head at just how much I can relate to you. It's such a relief to know I'm not the only one who is expecting a Peace Corps "don't even think about it" phone call. haha... see you in Philly in 10 days!
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacie Jones <3


    glad you got in sushi before you left, what I would do for some right now jaja

    ReplyDelete