12 May 2011

Does That Make Me a Scab?

Disclaimer: This entry is intended to be an unbiased account of the current workers’ strike in Botswana.  I am in no way attempting to spread my own political opinion on the matter. 

For the past month, all government employees in Botswana have been on a strike.  That includes schools, clinics, social work offices, district AIDS offices, and government offices in the capital, Gaborone.  This is the first strike to happen in Botswana, but it is looking as though it might not be successful.

Government workers have gone years without a pay raise and yet inflation in running rampant in Botswana.  So the strike, which began on April 18, is to demand a 16% salary increase for everyone.  Originally, they had set dates for the strike – exactly two weeks.  However, they then decided that they shouldn’t count non-working days as part of the strike, so it extended into a third week.  When President Sir Seretse Khama Ian Khama still didn’t budge, the workers continued for a fourth week.

There is a strike stipulation that “essential services” must still run, meaning that a few teachers remain at the school to keep order, one or two nurses are keeping the clinic going, and so on.  I am under the impression that those who continue to strike are not receiving pay, but I’m not entirely sure about that.  Regardless, the students have been told to continue attending school and to work on their lessons by themselves or in small groups.  They are still being held accountable (via corporal punishment) for tardiness, misbehavior, etc.

As a Peace Corps volunteer, I try not to do any work on my own – I always try to involve other teachers.  You can imagine how my work came to a halt when all of the teachers suddenly weren’t at school anymore.  Luckily, I have a strong, committed group of students in my YES Club and so I decided to meet with them during their long hours of not having class.

We have done a variety of things – game days, silent reading time (I busted out D.E.A.R. from second grade: Drop Everything And Read!), spelling bees, study time, tutoring time, learn-about-America time, learn-how-to-use-an-Encyclopedia time, hang out time… well, by the end of week 3 I was really running out of things to do.

While perusing the library shelves during D.E.A.R. time, I came across Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl.  It seemed like a book the kids would really enjoy, so the next day I got a small-ish group together and read the book aloud, complete with different silly voices for all the characters.  Needless to say, they loved it.  I’m not sure children here ever get read to, and if they do, I doubt it’s a “dramatic reenactment” the likes of which I put on. 

It was such a success that I got a set of James and the Giant Peach and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, both also by Roald Dahl, from a fellow volunteer.  Now the kids can share books and follow along.  I tried to get everyone to take turns reading a page, but they really love hearing my voices and seeing my expressions.  What can I say?  You can take a prima donna away from the stage, but you can’t take the stage away from a prima donna.  It’s been such a success that I hope to continue with this small group as an impromptu book club.

There are rumors that everyone will return to work on Monday, regardless of a pay raise or not.  It would certainly be a relief for the students who are bored to tears and extremely worried about exams.  I’m looking forward to getting back to my normal schedule… just hopefully with a little more Roald Dahl this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment