26 May 2011

Autumn

Throughout my life I’ve held on to this belief that spring is the best season of all – the temperature warms, there are spring showers, my birthday happens, school simultaneously rushes toward final exams and slows to a snail’s pace with vacation looming, and there’s this feeling of life’s renewal.

But as picturesque as it sounds, there is just something about fall that makes it truly the best season of all.  Now that autumn is upon the southern hemisphere, I’m reminded of the things I love best.

June is considered the windy month in Botswana, and the past few days have certainly held this true.  The wind rushing through trees’ leaves is so loud I thought it was the patter of raindrops.  Despite the warm sun bravely trying to dispel the chill, stepping outside of my house makes goosebumps prickle up and down my arms.  Dry crunchy leaves scatter and swirl around my feet as I hang my laundry.  The nights are frigid but the weight and comfort of three blankets allows me to sleep better than I have for months.

And my favorite part of autumn: the scent of the air.  I step outside my house and it just smells like fall.  I love it.

Cold seasons get a bad rep.  People are quick to tout summer as the best out there, but really, are short shorts and tube tops the best we got?  Please.  Give me a pashmina scarf and black blazer any day.

So I’ll admit it: I love autumn!  Bring it on, Mother Nature.


Delicious autumn!  My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.  –George Eliot

1 comment: