20 January 2011

Sunday Series

I’d like to introduce a new feature to my blog: Sunday Series.  Every Sunday, I’ll have a topic-specific post about the culture of Botswana.  The longer I live here, the more I uncover about the traditions and beliefs of the Batswana, and the more I appreciate and love my new home.  Through these posts, I hope to translate what I’m experiencing as best I can to you.

My first four-part Sunday Series will be about the superstitions of Botswana.  I became interested in this cultural aspect when a fellow volunteer introduced the thokolosi to me, and I’ve been trying to engage my colleagues and students in dialogues about mystical traditions ever since.

Part One: Thokolosi
Part Two: Ancestry
Part Three: Witchcraft
Part Four: Lizards and Other Animal Signs

What exactly is a thokolosi and how the heck do you pronounce that?  Check back this Sunday to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment