15 January 2011

Jungle Junction

After the thrills of Livingstone, everyone in my group was looking forward to relaxing for the rest of the trip at Jungle Junction.

 

Jungle Junction is an eco-friendly fishing resort on privately-owned Bovu Island, on the Zambezi River.  Featuring a self-service bar, library, and no electricity, it’s the perfect place to get away from your worries, reflect on life, and recharge your batteries (not literally).  I took off my flip flops immediately upon arriving, and went barefoot for the four days we were there.  When we were packing up to go, I was happy to find my shoes in the exact same spot I had left them.

The bar, overlooking the Zambezi

The library, built around a tree

You can camp or stay in fisherman’s huts or chalets.  We stayed in a fisherman’s hut, so every morning I woke up, stretched, and watched the sun rise over the Zambezi while still snuggled up in covers.

The fisherman's hut I stayed in

The view from my hut

The only way to access the island is by makoro, or dug-out canoe.  While on the island, you can go out on the makoros to fish or to a safe swimming spot (sans crocodiles).




The tigerfish that Mike caught.  It was really yummy!

The first evening we were taken out to watch the sunset.  The sunsets on the island were… well, I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves.







The lack of electricity didn’t pose any problems and really added to the ambience.  There were steaming hot outdoor showers (the water is heated by coal, I think) and all the food was cooked over charcoal fires.  At night, the bar area was lit by candles.

So romantic

Our first night, I was walking along the sandy path from our hut and I stopped to look up at the night sky.  The stars literally took my breath away.  I only wish my camera could have captured it.

We spent New Year’s Eve on the island and it was great fun.  Luckily some of us had watches so we knew when it was midnight.  On New Year’s Day, the owner organized a pig roast.  I tried to acquire a hula skirt to make it a luau, but that didn’t work out.

The last sunset of 2010




My group on NYE, with the flag of Botswana!

I absolutely recommend Jungle Junction to anyone from any walk of life.  The owner was beyond accommodating and there is a resident botanist who is willing to walk with you around the island and teach you about the wildlife.


This mediocre description doesn't do the island justice.  I suppose you all will have to experience it for yourself.


Be this sunset one for keeping
this june bug street sings low and lovely...
and what's worth keeping
sun still sinking
down and down, gone again
-Iron and Wine

1 comment: