15 December 2010

The Twelve Days of Christmas

*With notes for clarification

On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me a cow in the middle of the road.

On the second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me two doves in my roof.

On the third day of Christmas, my true love gave to me three Botswana hens.

On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me four calling roosters (when I’m trying to sleep).

On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me five diamond rings!  (Although I’ve yet to see any Batswana with a diamond from their own famous mines.)

On the sixth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me six donkeys a-braying (it sounds like they’re in pain).

On the seventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me seven safari animals (especially elephants).

On the eighth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me eight maids hanging laundry (after hand-washing it).

On the ninth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me nine traditional dancers.

On the tenth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me ten traditional doctors.

On the eleventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me eleven precious “dipudi.” (Goats)

On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me twelve mosquitoes buzzing.


Thus, sung like this:
On the twelfth day of Christmas,
My true love gave to me,
Twelve mosquitoes buzzing
Eleven precious dipudi
Ten traditional doctors
Nine traditional dancers
Eight maids hanging laundry
Seven safari animals
Six donkeys a-braying
Five diamond rings
Four calling roosters
Three Botswana hens
Two doves in my roof
And a cow in the middle of the road!

1 comment:

  1. You are a gifted blogger and songwriter, Tess.
    Have your brother put that to music. We can't know which day of Christmas a package from here in Oz may reach you . . . on its last mile, perhaps delivered by cow, dipudi, or elephant. Merry Christmas from The O'Neills.

    ReplyDelete