08 December 2010

Some Women Like Smoking

Scene: Two Peace Corps volunteers, PACO and TESS, are waiting at the local hitch-hiking post.  A local woman, DINEO, is sitting at a table selling fruit, sweets, and ice pops.  A local man, SMISH, approaches.

Note: Translated from Setswana.

PACO and TESS: Dumela Rra.

SMISH: Le kae?

PACO and TESS: Re teng, Rra.  Le kae?

SMISH: Re teng.  Ke kopa madi.

PACO: Ah, sorry Rra.  I just spent all of my money on ice pops.

SMISH: But I need a smoke.  I have not smoked since this morning.

PACO: You should not smoke Rra!  It is bad for you.

TESS: You will live longer if you do not smoke.

SMISH:  Me, I am 38 years old.  Right now.  I am fine.

PACO: But you never know man, what will happen tomorrow.  If you stop smoking maybe you will live to be 58, or 68.

SMISH: I finished standard 7.  I started smoking and now it is life to me.

TESS: Rra, do you have a wife?

SMISH: Yes.

TESS: Women, they do not like smoking. 

TESS mimics vomiting onto the ground.  SMISH stops and thinks with a genuinely concerned look on his face.

SMISH: Some of them do.

PACO: Dineo!  Do women like smoking?

DINEO: Smoking?  Noooo!!

TESS: Ah, Rra!  See?  Ke boamaruri!

SMISH: But some of them do.

End scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment