02 November 2010

Youth Forum: Day One

Yesterday I checked my email at around 6pm, after work, and I had a message from my supervisor at the Ministry of Education, Jane.  She wanted to know if I could make a meeting at 9:00 the following morning to help plan for the Youth Forum.  Luckily, Peace Corps has made me nothing if not flexible, so I cleared my day and headed out the next morning at 6:45.

The meeting was two hours long, but really interesting.  There are two Youth Forums each year for orphans and vulnerable children from across the nation, aged 10 – 20 years old.  This Forum is expanding its capacity to 175 students and is being held in the Tuli Block, and one day there’s an excursion to see the wildlife.  It was great to be in a meeting with individuals who truly wanted to be there, and who wanted nothing but success for the Forum.  Many raised really good points as we discussed different aspects of marketing, logistics, and counseling services.

I fully expected my role to be “Peace Corps Volunteer: Help out with random things, mostly just observe, and play with the kids.”  However, Jane nominated me to be on the facilitation committee.  It entails evaluating different organizations in order to determine which one will be the best at facilitating sessions for the students.  On Friday, I am going to watch four organizations do activities with three different age groups, and after that decide which one to hire. 

Jane also informed me that she wants me to create a hands-on session about volunteerism.  I want to make it really interactive, and ideas are starting to formulate (although, if any of you can think of any games or activities that apply, please let me know).  I might even volunteer to do a couple dance sessions.  It could help students not only express themselves in a new way, but become more comfortable with themselves and with the other students, allowing them to open up more in the counseling sessions.

It feels great to actually be given responsibility!  

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading your Blogs !
    Its very different from my experiences !keep up the good work

    Charmaine, Francistown

    ReplyDelete