17 November 2010

Botswana v Tunisia

“Hurry up!  It’s starting!  Let’s go!”

“Geeze Tess, I didn’t know you were such a sports fan.”

I’m absolutely not.  I spent the entire season of kindergarten soccer picking dandelions and yelling at my dad to turn off the video camera.  Even so, nothing can beat the thrill of 10,000 fans wearing Botswana blue, cheering, singing, and blowing those damn World Cup horns.

Today I went to my first (hopefully the first of many) football game here in Botswana.  The Botswana Zebras were playing the Tunisia Vultures in hopes to score points toward playing in the Africa Cup in 2012.  It was absolutely crazy inside the stadium, and I ended up sitting on the ground behind the fence.

The smaller stadium at University of Botswana

As with most football games, nothing really happens until someone finally scores.  When Botswana did in the first half, the crowd went crazy.  Everyone was on their feet jumping and screaming.  My friend even got a kiss on the cheek from a random stranger.  (…Yes, that’s kind of creepy.)

Nicole: Does this headscarf make me look like a pirate?
Me: Yes.  But it's really cute!

There actually were three injuries during the game, and once while we waited the crowd did the wave.  Not once, not twice, but four times around the stadium.  I guess when the stadium is so small, four times around makes sense.

The ominous looking rainclouds at the end of the first half.  Luckily the storm held off.

At the end, when the score was still 1-0 Botswana, everyone began to sing.  I don’t know the words ka Setswana, but I was told that the English translation is, “Jesus, Jesus, look upon us now.”  As I’ve mentioned before, religion enters every aspect of life here.

Getting out of the stadium was pretty crazy.  People were parading around, crushing innocent bystanders (a.k.a. me), and mobbing the bus with the players on it.  Not even 20 minutes after the game ended, radio news stations were broadcasting the victory.

Mid-celebration

I made it through the game without picking even one dandelion, although I did thoroughly analyze which type of Botswana jersey I’d like to buy.  And I maybe checked out the players while they warmed up (football players have the cutest behinds).


I didn't want Tunisia to win, but I also didn't want their players to stop stretching right in front of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment