22 November 2011

Setswana Grammar Lesson: Go Loma

Your grammar lesson for today starts with a sentence:

Ka Saturday, ke lomilwe ke ntsha.

Let's break it down.

Ntsha - dog  (nn-cha)
Go loma - to bite  (ho loh-mah)
Ntsha e loma - the dog bites  (nn-cha ay loh-mah)
Ntsha e ntoma - the dog bites me  (nn-cha ay nn-toe-mah)
Ntsha e lomile - the dog bit  (nn-cha ay loh-me-lay)
Ntsha e ntomile - the dog bit me  (nn-cha ay nn-toe-me-lay)
Ke lomilwe - I was bitten  (kay loh-meal-way)
Ke lomilwe ke ntsha - I was bitten by a dog  (kay loh-meal-way kay nn-cha)

Thus,

Ka Saturday, ke lomilwe ke ntsha

means,

On Saturday, I was bitten by a dog.

Excellent work, class.


(...Don't worry, the dog had its rabies shot and I am healing very nicely!)

1 comment:

  1. I mean it... stay away from the doggies. Too cute of a face to be foaming at the mouth!


    But I'll still be your friend...

    ReplyDelete