08 March 2011

Don't Call Me Beautiful

If you don’t know me, please:

Don’t call me beautiful.
Don’t call me lekgowa.
Don’t call me English.
Don’t call me your wife.
Don’t ask me for money.
Don’t ask me to fly you to America.
Don’t ask me to marry you.
Don’t ask me to find a white girl that you can marry.
Don’t ask me if I know some random white person you met in Mahalapye five years ago.
Don’t tell me you hate me.
Don’t tell me you love me.
Don’t whistle at me.
Don’t slow down the car so you can watch me walk by.
Don’t hit me – with your hands or your donkey whip.
Don’t touch my hair.
Don’t laugh at me.
Don’t make fun of my mannerisms to try and impress your friends.
Don’t scream or yell at me.
Don’t stare and point at me.
Don’t try to steal my bag.

If you don’t know me, for the love of God – say hello, be polite, and just be my friend.  Then you can do all of those things. 

Well… most.  Please don’t ever steal my bag.

1 comment: