10 February 2011

Update

Usually I try to have an overall theme to every entry, but sometimes that’s not possible.  Here are a few random updates from this week.

- Every Thursday, the students are divided into three groups, called “Houses,” for an assembly.  The House I belong to is Sechele (say-chel-ay).

At assembly each week, one class must give a presentation on the “Weekly Theme.”  My counterpart (the senior teacher of guidance) and I work together to create the themes and provide material to all the classes – topics such as time management, alcohol abuse, and study techniques.  It used to be that the presenting class would have one student stand in front and read off a paper about the theme.  It was very boring.

A teacher came up to me at the beginning of this term and asked, “How can my class present this topic in a new way?”  So I suggested they do a drama.  On that Thursday morning, all the kids swarmed to the front, completely engaged in the drama and laughing the whole time.  It was amazing to see these students transform from glazed-over eyes to active participants, and nothing beats the sound of laughter at a normally sober school.

Since then, every class has done a drama for assembly, and all the students are much more interested.  Even better, today the main characters were all played by Form 3 boys.  These were 16-year-old boys, the oldest and coolest in the school, putting on a play to warn their classmates about the dangers of smoking.  For me, it was a great moment.

My village is growing!  There is a new complex in town that has a general store, a hair salon, a book store, and a restaurant.  The restaurant is owned by a fellow teacher and friend of mine.  I ate there on Tuesday and it was really nice.  Absolutely crazy to think that Lentsweletau has a restaurant now though!

Currently my village is without water, so yesterday after lunch they canceled study time and let the students go home.  As I was walking, a group of boys was walking behind me.  Generally I love my students, but as with all kids, some are just jerks.  Plus these boys are all taller than me and that makes me nervous.  So I let them pass me.  However, one of the biggest boys went over to a little girl (maybe 7 or 8 years old), towered over her, and stole a handful of her snacks out of the bag she was carrying.

I got really upset when I saw that, and started to chastise the boy.  What makes it difficult to be a disciplinarian here though, is that the kids laugh at me.  Because of my white skin, because of my accent, out of embarrassment, out of disrespect… I don’t know.  It’s very, very frustrating however.  I realize now I should have made him give the snacks back and then taken his name, but I wasn’t thinking clearly.  I want to be these kids’ friend, but sometimes the bullying and lack of respect is just appalling.  Obviously, this is something that happens everywhere, not just in Botswana.

My last update of the week is the work I am doing with an HIV support group called Pula Matlho (pooh-luh mah-tloh), which means “open your eyes”.  They have a nice building with a kitchen, bathrooms, and even a sewing room, all donated by Al-Muslimah, the women’s Muslim group in Botswana.  Unfortunately, they are not using the building.  I’m working with the group to get funding in order to open up a preschool.  The idea is to have it open to all children, but to provide free tuition to orphans and vulnerable children.  They also plan to start a garden in order to provide income.  I’ve never written grant proposals before, so wish us luck!

- Shameless Plea for Attention:  I have a phone, and two numbers you can reach me on: +267-72-627-867 and +267-73-649-223.  

In other news, please leave me comments if there’s anything you’d like to know about the culture or my life here!  After this Sunday, I’ll need a new topic for my “Sunday Series” (I am really cool) and I want to make sure it’s interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment